Volunteer at PRI-Uganda
All volunteers should expect to support the work of our existing staff, involve in field work and also putting the interest of PRI-Uganda first. Volunteers can expect to run continuing education workshops for our staff, participate in outreach activities and support the institute’s other programs as deemed relevant by management from time to time.
Our Volunteering and internship programs provide participants with an opportunity to get exposed to practical hands-on learning experience as well as interacting with several innovators, changer makers and scholars from all walks of life.
Our scheduled breaks also enable the participants to experience and get to explore the beautiful and naturally endowed ‘’Pearl of Africa’’.
Click on a position to learn more about it
Permaculture / Agriculture Educator
This position involves the following: hands-on training on sustainable farming methods, permaculture ethics and principles ( their interpretation and specific application) communication and leadership training, training our community members and schools in different aspects on eco conservation. We aim to give you a better understanding about issues concerning sustainable agriculture, climate change, ecosystems, food systems, food value chains, education, and non-profit organizations in general or totality.
tropical plants ), Animal husbandry, conservation, Aquaculure, applicable sustainable farming technologies, Zero waste or Farm waste management and recycling plus any other topic that might of interest to the researcher.
Our Volunteers and interns get an opportunity to deeply immense themselves into the learning and practical application of various topics on our demonstrationl sites and partner organization. Below are some of the areas and fields of practical learning and application.
- Permaculture Design
- Renewable Energy
- Farm Planning and Implementation
- Eco-Friendly Waste Management
- Land restoration
- Water collection and conservation systems
- Plant and animal selection
- Plant Nurseries and Green House Management
- Community Gardens (Demonstration Farms) set up and maintenance
- School Back yard / Teaching Farms set up and Maintenance
- Food Forest and Agroforestry Planning and Development
- Farm records and Information Management
Basic Qualifications & Skills
- Desire and anxiety to make sustainable agriculture and culture a reality.
- Ability to be flexible, patient and respectful
- Deep passion for environmental conservation.
- Team work and ability to be accommodative of different opinions and views.
- Must be able to relocate to Uganda for at least two weeks
- Strong cultural awareness and ability to live in a rural and rustic setting
- Experience in working in low resource areas.
Videographer / Film Maker
We need a photographer/videographer or filmmaker to work with our communications team in conceptualizing and producing promotional videos, film and edit videos, document day-to-day work at our partner organizations, and aggregate content and produce high-quality videos for PRI-Uganda and partner organizations.
Marketing and communication / Social media specialist
Management of the marketing of the PRI-Uganda, its public relations strategy and the delivery of social media campaigns ensuring organisational values, ambitions and goals are achieved. This is a central role responsible for developing and implementing a marketing strategy and related communications including use of social media and newsletter to support the campaigns. The holder of this position will also work with our M&E team to develop and continuously review the Knowledge Management (KM) materials.
Natural Building and renewable Energy Specialist
This position involves supporting and training our community members in natural building and renewable energy which are key components in our conservation efforts. The Incumbent will also support the establishment and maintenance of such facilities on our main site for both demonstration and active on-site usage. Among the renewable energy systems currently being implemented by the institute are: Bio-gas and Solar, however, we encourage innovativeness and creativity, so the incumbent can come up with several other applicable technologies to add to the list.
Research and Development ( R&D) Specialist
Research and Development (R&D) is at the core of our existence and we always look forward to analysis, documentation and examination of several trends/traits, elements or scenarios in order to come up with conclusive evidence to further enable thoughtful and well research publications and decisions.
In respect to the above, we welcome students and researchers at all levels to work with our in-country teams to carry out research in the different fields such as Plant Botany
What We Provide
- Pre-departure logistics support and preparation
- Volunteer Handbook
- Shared accommodation at PRI-Uganda Volunteer House
- Pick up and drop off at the airport (Entebbe International Airport)
- Support from our in-country staff throughout the volunteer placement
- Connection to relevant Educational institutions ( Universities)
- A lasting and deep connection to a wonderful community of staff, interns, volunteers, board members and many other associates all over the world
Volunteers will be responsible for contributing a $300 USD /week placement fee upon approval/acceptance of application
A non-refundable deposit of $300 USD is needed to reserve your spot in our Volunteer House. The remaining balance must be paid upon arrival in Uganda.
Your fees go directly toward supporting our programs and ensuring your volunteer placement is successful.